Sunday, August 15, 2010

Cross at Kanuga Conference Centre













During the week I spent at Kanuga Confererence Center in North Carolina, I was particularly drawn to this crucifix in one of the gardens: to the look on Jesus' eyes looking down from the suffering cross; the nails in the flesh of his hands and feet. I found it particularly profound and envisioned a composite photograph including all of these pieces in one.

In addition, the hymn which came to mind was the verse from
"When I survey the Wondrous Cross" ...

See from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down;
did e're such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown?


When I put all of this together, this is the photograph which emerged:



I feel blessed by this creative exercise (and I thank my son Nathaniel for assisting me with the editing). The cross comes to life and means even more as I look at the various elements together. This will hang on the wall of my office as a reminder of that sacred and holy time I spent at Kanuga as part of my sabbath leave.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.
    The way you have chosen to put this composite together comes across powerfully, and beautifully.
    Thank you for sharing it.
    It makes me look at the body of Christ differently...

    ReplyDelete