Friday, May 28, 2010

Photography and the Feast of the "Holy Trinity"

This Sunday is the feast of the Holy Trinity. Like many clergy, I often find it difficult to think of something new to reflect on that might illustrate or explain what this doctrine of the church is all about. This year, with the experiences I've had on my sabbath, I've got a new insight about the Trinity that comes out of my photography.

What am I doing as I take a photograph? I'm capturing an image and recording an experience. The image I create may be the most beautiful piece of art work; I may be using the best camera they make; my lenses may have cost a small fortune; the settings on the camera may well be textbook. However, even with all of that in place, I am unlikely to capture completely the image I am seeing or the experience I am having. Some stunningly beautiful scenes or majestic landscapes or awe inspiring views can only be experiened in that moment in time, in that one place and even in that one spot I may be standing in. I will still take the photograph, though, as incomplete as it may be; and I will still be inspired by the end product; I will feel something of what it felt to stand there in the first place. To be sure, the art of taking photographs will assist in my remembering what the scene looked like and will recall to mind some of the emotions I felt.

The same is true of the Trinity and my experiences of God. When I have the experience, I may write about it or preach about it or even try to capture it through the lens of my camera. But all of the nuances of God being revealed to me will never be complete in and of themselves. And after the fact as I remember what it was like to experience them, they may not seem quite as profound and I may not even be able to put into words what it was like and the impact it had on me and my relationship with God. None of that, though, diminishes how God touched me in that grace filled moment!

There are experiences when I will be more attentive and engaged with God who is the creator like when I'm surrounded by the awe, mystery, wonder and beauty of nature; there are times when I'm more connected with God the redeemer like when I stand in front of a crucifix that looks so real and life like and Jesus is staring right at me; and there are times whe I'm in tune with God the giver of life as I see a mother duck with her ducklings swimming up the stream. The doctrine of the Holy Trinity enables me to experience God in all of God's fullness and to be inspired, challenged, provoked, nurtured and fed in a way that makes a difference in my life and my faith.

Another thing that has struck me is that as I take a photograph there may be someone standing a few feet away taking a photograph of the same image or trying to capture the same emotion. Their photograph may not be the same as mine, and in fact will most likely be different. They may be at a different angle; the sun may be producing a different shadow; their camera may be on a different setting. We're both photographing the same image but it comes out differently for each of us. Neither is better than the other; neither is more beautiful than the other.

The same is true of God and the Trinity. Two of us can have the same spiritual experience side by side and end up seeing and being aware of different aspects of God and what God has to offer. Neither experience is diminished by that reality; each experience is valid; each one is a beautiful moment of grace and blessing as we have been open to receiving what God has offered.

My prayer for myself as I continue to look through the lens of my camera to capture the images of God I experience is that I will be open to recognize the one who is offering it to me and to appreciate too the mystery of God. And my prayer is the same for you in the ways you can connect with God in your journey of life. May we continue to be blessed by God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit ... by God: Creator, Redeemer and Sactifier.


Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
All thy works shall praise thy name, in earth and sky and sea.
Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty,
God in three persons, blessed Trinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment