Friday, April 16, 2010

Sabbath ... a time for rest, renewal, refreshment and creativity!

I feel very blessed to have these next few months to simply "be", and in that state of "being" to be aware of how much I am in the presence of God. The mystery of God is all around me and yet so often in day to day life I'm so busy and preoccupied that I don't take the opportunity to connect and appreciate the essence of that reality in my life. I am grateful for the opportunity to do so!

When I take a photograph, I'm aware of the beauty in that moment that I'm trying to capture. It may be a flower, a mountain scene, a view of the ocean, a waterfall, an animal, a rainbow, a winter scene or any number of other experiences. In all of them, as diverse as they may be, God is very present and so awe inspiring. Even for that moment, as brief as it may be, I can see and recognize the divine. And, as inadequate as it may be, the photograph captures what it can. The lens of a camera can't totally capture the emotion, or even the stunning beauty. However, with it preserved in time, these pictures can help me recall to mind what it was like to be in that space and to recognize God there with me too.

When I went through some of the pictures I've taken over the years, the 21 on the side panel were one's I chose that represent for me a cross section of photography and spirituality moments I've experienced. It was difficult to pick from the hundreds of shots I have on file. Each picture says something to me; there was a reason I took it; there was an experience that inspired it.

Over the coming months, and I hope into the future too, I will post pictures that I have taken and include some commentary on what they mean to me; what was inspired in me; where and how I experienced the presence of God. I hope that as I share them with you, you too will be drawn into the holiness of my moments. But more importantly, I hope you will be inspired to look for your own moments and capture them in a way that is meaningful to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment